Party Wall Services London | Expert RICS Chartered Surveyors – Modrics Surveyors

How It Works

Step 1: Free Advice

If you have any questions or uncertainties about the Party Wall process, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We offer free initial advice and can provide you with a quote tailored to your specific needs.

Step 2: Appoint Us as Surveyor

Once you are satisfied with the quote provided, the next step is to appoint us as your Party Wall Surveyor. We will handle all the necessary paperwork and procedures on your behalf.

Step 3: Sit Back and Relax

Once we are appointed, you can sit back and relax. We take care of everything from issuing the required notices to preparing the necessary awards. Throughout the entire process, we will be there to support you and ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience.

FAQ – Building Owners

How do I comply with the act?

1. Serve Notice: Before commencing any work covered by the Act, you must serve a formal notice to your neighbours informing them of your intended works. The notice should be in the prescribed format and include specific details about the proposed works.

2. Timing: There are specific timeframes outlined in the Act that dictate when the notice should be served. It is important to adhere to these timeframes to ensure compliance.

3. Consent: Your neighbours have the right to provide their consent or raise any concerns regarding the proposed works. They can either provide written consent or dissent, which may require appointing a Party Wall Surveyor to resolve any disputes.

4. Engage a Party Wall Surveyor: While you can serve the notice yourself, many people prefer to engage a Party Wall Surveyor to handle the process on their behalf. This ensures that the notice is served correctly and reduces the risk of invalidating the process.

5. Consider Alternatives: It is worth considering if there are any modifications to your proposed works that could minimise the impact on your neighbours. Sometimes, making small changes can make a significant difference and help maintain a positive relationship with your neighbours.

By following these steps and seeking professional guidance if needed, you can ensure compliance with the Party Wall Act and maintain a respectful relationship with your neighbours throughout the process.

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc. Act of 1996 is a legislation that provides guidelines and procedures for carrying out construction or renovation works that may have an impact on party walls or structures shared with neighbouring properties. Its main purpose is to ensure that the rights and interests of both property owners are protected during such works.

The Act covers various types of works, including:

1. Building on a boundary: If you plan to construct a new wall, such as for a rear extension, that is located on a boundary between your property and your neighbours property, the Act applies.

2. Works to shared walls and structures: If your proposed works involve activities like inserting steel beams or removing chimney breasts that are part of a wall or structure shared with your neighbour, the Act comes into play.

3. Excavations near a neighbour’s property: If your works involve excavations close to your neighbours property, such as for foundations or basements, the Act applies to ensure proper safeguards are in place.

By following the procedures outlined in the Party Wall Act, you can ensure that your works are carried out in a manner that minimizes any potential impact on your neighbors and their properties.

Do I have to have a Party Wall Survey?

Yes, if your proposed works fall under the Party Wall etc. 1996 Act, it is a legal requirement to use it. Failure to comply with the Act can result in injunctions, delays, and costly legal expenses. It’s important to note that the Party Wall Act is separate from planning permission or building regulations, so even if you have obtained those approvals, you still need to adhere to the requirements of the Act.

A Party Wall Surveyor typically gets involved in the following situations:

1. Dispute Resolution: If a dispute arises between you and your neighbor regarding your proposed works, such as if they do not provide consent or fail to respond to the notice, a Party Wall Surveyor may need to be appointed. The surveyor(s) will help resolve the dispute by creating a Party Wall Agreement, also known as an “Award.” This agreement considers your neighbor’s rights and includes conditions that allow your works to proceed.

2. Serving Notices: While not legally required, many people choose to involve a Party Wall Surveyor from the beginning to handle the process of serving notices on their behalf. This ensures that the notices are served correctly and reduces the risk of complications or disputes arising later on.

3. Appointment Options: In the event that a Party Wall Surveyor is required, there are two options. Both parties can agree to appoint a single joint surveyor, which can be a quicker and more cost-effective approach. Alternatively, each party can appoint their own surveyor to represent their individual interests.

Get in touch

    Contact us today to find out more about our services or get some advice.