Party Wall Services London | Expert RICS Chartered Surveyors – Modrics Surveyors

I am planning a loft conversion, What do I do?

If your loft conversion requires a Party Wall Agreement, there are several steps you should take:

1. Have an informal conversation with your neighbors: It’s a good idea to discuss your proposed loft conversion with your neighbors in advance. This can help build a positive relationship, inform them of the upcoming work, and encourage their cooperation.

2. Hire a party wall surveyor: You should engage a party wall surveyor who can prepare and serve a Party Wall Notice on your behalf. This notice will formally notify your neighbors of your intentions and provide them with the opportunity to respond.

3. Response from the adjoining owner: The adjoining owner has 14 days to respond to the Party Wall Notice and appoint their own surveyor if necessary. If they fail to respond within this timeframe, your surveyor can serve further notice giving them an additional 10 days to respond.

4. Agreement or dispute: If the adjoining owner agrees to your proposals, you can proceed with the loft conversion without the need for a Party Wall Agreement. However, if they do not respond or do not agree, a surveyor will be appointed for them, and the matter will go into dispute.

5. Negotiation and resolution: If the adjoining owner disagrees with your proposals, they may serve a counter notice requesting changes to your project. If these changes can be resolved, you can reach an agreement in writing, and the work can proceed. If an agreement cannot be reached, you will need to appoint a surveyor to issue a Party Wall Award, which outlines the schedule, access rights, and remedial work. The adjoining owner has the right to hire their own surveyor, and if an agreement still cannot be reached, a third surveyor may need to be appointed.

It’s important to note that the advice provided in this article is for reference purposes only. Each situation is unique, and it is recommended to consult with experienced chartered surveyors who can provide tailored advice based on your specific circumstances.

At Modrics Chartered Surveyors, we are a team of independent and impartial RICS surveyors based in London. We specialise in handling party wall matters. If you have any questions or need advice, please feel free to contact us at 0208 087 2051.

Get in touch

    Contact us today to find out more about our services or get some advice.